The girl I was a week ago is fading. Her skin is becoming translucent; her voice is diminishing to a whisper; her thoughts are cowering into the background. I never thought I’d be so glad to see her wither away. She’s been my comfort for so long, my safe place, the one I looked to when I needed something solid to grasp hold of. And now she’s disappearing, and I’m watching her go with only a slight twinge of remorse. We’ve grown close, so her departure isn’t meaningless – she was so easy to sink into and wrap myself up in. She helped me navigate through years of my life with confidence and hope. And yet now, when I look at her, I see something different. Her appeal is gone for me, and I only see her flaws – her weakness, her limits, and her shallowness. It isn’t her fault; she served her purpose. She just can’t go with me, where I’m headed now… my desires have increased and she’s no longer enough. And so I bid farewell to a dear friend of mine – with a pang of sadness and uncertainty – but with the knowledge that her exit from my life will be the best thing to ever happen to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment